Before you begin
- Remove power to the server.
- Remove the access panel.
- Remove the air baffle.
Heatsink and processor removal
- Pull up the handle and open the heat sink retaining bracket.
- Remove the heatsink.
- Unclip and lift the processor load plate lever up.
- Lift the processor load plate.
- Remove the processor.
Heatsink and processor replacement
- With the processor retaining latch and socket retaining bracket fully open, use the processor installation tool provided with the new or replacement processor to allign the tabs on the processor socket with the notches on the installation tool.
- Press down firmly on the processor installation tool until it clicks and the processor separates. Remove the processor installation tool.
- Lower the load plate over the processor socket.
- Lower the load plate lever and place it securely into its latch.
- If you are reinstalling the original processor or heatsink:
- Use an alcohol swab to remove any thermal grease residue from the processor and the heatsink. Allow the alcohol on the processor and heatsink to dry completely before proceeding.
- Use a thermal grease applicator to apply the proper amount of grease along one edge of the processor.
- Use a straight edge to spread a thin film of new thermal grease evenly over the top of the processor.
- Position the heatsink so that the holes on the bottom of the heatsink align with the pins on the heatsink bracket.
- Insert the heatsink.
- Rotate the heatsink retaining bracket and handle down to lock.